Thursday, November 26, 2009

Stealing

By DC
The smiling sun reigned supreme, painting the great canvas of the morning sky in warm hues of yellow. The dew on the leaves dropped onto the ground like a row of unsewn pearls.

“Ring….!” The bell for recess had just rung and almost immediately, children ran out of their classrooms like flocks of migrating birds.

I was about to tuck into my scrumptious bowl of piping hot noodles when my best friend, Tom, sat down in front of me.

“Did you know Peter brought his new mobile phone?” he asked.

“Yeah! What a show-off!” I said jealously as I wolfed down my noodles.

“Why don’t we teach him a lesson?” Tom suggested with a sly grin. Having the same thought in mind, I nodded in agreement.

After finishing my noodles, we headed towards our classroom on the top floor.

“Why didn’t the prefects stop us?” Tom said in astonishment as we climbed the long flights of stairs.

“Beats me, but they sure are dim-witted fools,” I remarked.

Looking in every direction and round every corner, we made our way stealthily towards the classroom, making sure that no one had discovered us. After creeping into the classroom, we began to carry out our plan. I started rummaging through Peter’s bag while Tom kept watch for anyone passing by.

After what seemed like an eternity, I was still unable to find Peter’s phone. Tension hung like a thick cloud in the air as beads of perspiration trickled down our foreheads.

“Where on earth could it be?” I said frantically.

“I can hear somebody’s footsteps. I think we should abort our plan,” Tom advised.

I managed to put the bag back into its original position just as a teacher came in. It was our English teacher, Mr Koh, whom I have always looked up to with awe and respect.

“Good morning, Mr Koh,” Tom and I greeted in unison. We tried our best to look calm and innocent, but inside we were shaking like leaves.

“What are you two doing?” he asked sternly.

“Um…I had for…forgotten something and came ba…back to take it,” I replied, trying as much as I could to stop stammering.

A shadow of doubt flickered across Mr Koh’s face and he began interrogating us with a series of questions. Soon, we were strongly overcome by an unbearable feeling of guilt. Knowing our fate was sealed like an ant in a web, we decided to confess. Upon hearing our confession, we were frogmarched to the Principal’s office. Torrents of tears flowed fast and free as I hung my head in shame.

We were let off with a stern warning and we vowed never to do such a thing ever again.

“It’s too late for regrets, but what you can do is to turn over a new leaf and mend your ways,” Mr Koh advised. These words of wisdom would remain in my heart forever.

No comments: