Thursday, November 26, 2009

Cinema Incident

By KJQ
It was a bright sunny Sunday morning. The sun shone brilliantly and caused the ground to be scorching hot. The trees swayed to the tempo of the light breeze. It was a perfect day.

“Hurray! Hurray! The movie is going to start soon! We are almost late!” my brother hurried.

We were supposed to catch a movie, “Superman”, that morning, but I woke up late. We scurried like two little mice into the cinema. I leaped into the queue and ordered popcorn. Then, we paid and went into the screening hall. As it was a Sunday, many tickets were already taken and so we had to get two tickets that left us sitting in one of the rows near the front.

Suddenly, the lights were dimmed and slowly switched off. A trailer appeared on the screen, saying “Hand phones are to be switched off or put on silent mode.” I quickly fished out my hand phone and turned it off, so did my brother.

“Ring! Ring! Ring!” A ringtone screamed. My brother and I quickly looked in the direction of the noise.

A man then said, “Yes, oh yes... No… Yes!” and he spoke in a loud voice.

Upon seeing the man’s actions, I was boiling with anger.

“Can’t he whisper? And in the first place, he should not pick up his phone; he should have switched it off or turned it to the silent mode!” I thought.

A lady sitting beside him was asking him to hang up his phone and she pointed to the screen, but her words fell on deaf ears.

Suddenly, I heard more noise coming from the entrance. My attention then shifted to the three boys entering the screening hall. Once they entered and took their seats, they put their feet on the seats in front of them and started munching popcorns. Two of the boys started a commotion and played “Popcorn Fight”. They threw popcorns into each other’s faces and in the end the popcorns dropped everywhere and dirtied the area, adding to the workload of the cleaners. There was a person sitting in front of the three boys and from her facial expression, I could see that she was irritated.

“Hey! Is this how you behave in a public area?!” the woman suddenly shouted like a volcano eruption.

The man who was talking loudly at first got a shock and quickly hung up his phone without delay. The man’s face blushed as red as an apple. The boys, too, put their feet down and sat up straight, as stiff as stones. The boys, too, realised their mistake and were ashamed of their behaviour.

The man stood up and apologised sincerely, “I am really sorry for the inconvenience I caused.”

Then, with his head low and in low spirits, he left the screening hall on his own accord. At that moment, my heart went out to him as I felt that he did not have to leave, but I think he did it because of embarrassment. As for the boys, they sat through the entire “Superman” movie without even a whisper.

My brother and I enjoyed the movie without any further disruption. This incident at the cinema has certainly made my brother and me more mindful of our own behaviour in public.

No comments: