Thursday, November 26, 2009

At the Clinic

Introduction/Setting
This is a picture depicting a scene at a doctor’s clinic. The doctor on duty is Dr. Lee and the reception counter is manned by a female receptionist. It does not appear to be very crowded at the clinic as there is only a lady waiting at a bench and a mother and her son.

Body (Observation – Interpretation – Application)
Observation 1 – Boy who vomited
The boy appears to be unwell as he is vomiting uncontrollably onto the floor of the clinic. He is weak and barely able to stand up. He has to supported by his mother.
Interpretation 1
I believe the boy must have food poisoning to be vomiting like that.
Application/Prediction 1
If I were there at the clinic, I would not know how to help him. I would probably be taken aback like the female receptionist and be put off like the lady waiting at the bench. I would probably go out of the clinic as the smell of the vomit may make me feel queasy and make me feel like vomiting myself.

Observation 2 – Mother
The mother of the boy appears to be quite concerned about her son’s condition.
Interpretation 2
Judging from her expression, she probably did not expect her son’s condition to take a turn for the worse.
Application/Prediction 2
If I were her, I would ask the receptionist to give the boy priority in seeing Dr. Lee. Hopefully, Dr. Lee could administer an injection to stop the vomiting.

Observation 3 - Others
The receptionist would probably have to clean up the vomit herself or enlist the help of the cleaners at the clinic to do it.
Interpretation 3
Judging from her reaction, I guess she did not quite expect this when she started work today. But I suppose she would soon regain her composure and handle the matter in a professional manner.
Application 3
As the receptionist in a clinic, I guess she is often expected to multi-task. Other than arranging appointments and dispensing medicine, she has probably cleared up such mess every now and then. There is no doubt that it takes quite a lot to be a receptionist at the clinic.

Conclusion
In closing, I feel that the doctors and receptionists in the clinics, especially the neighbourhood clinics are an important part of our community. Without them, we would not be able to receive medical assistance promptly and conveniently.

No comments: