Thursday, November 26, 2009

Accident

By CY
It was a sultry afternoon. The air-conditioner on the bus did nothing to bring the soaring temperature down. I sat wearily on my seat, trying not to doze off so I would not miss my bus stop. I gazed at the TV Mobile screen in front of me. Images flashed back at me. I stifled a yawn. I wish there were more captivating programmes broadcasted on TV Mobile.

As I was about to doze off, the bus roared to a stop and I was thrust forward in my seat. I cursed the driver silently. He was far too reckless. I reckoned that his licence should be suspended. As I was contemplating how the bus company should deal with such irresponsible drivers like him, an elderly lady boarded the bus. She was armed with a heavy basket that reeked of salted fish. I held my breath as the lady shuffled up to where I was seated. I glanced at the other passengers. Some had pretended to doze off while others simply looked out of the windows, as I had done earlier. I, too, was reluctant to give up my seat, for I was exhausted after a long day in school. I shut my eyes and pretended to doze off.

Suddenly, the bus swerved violently to the left before screeching to a complete halt. I woke up immediately with a start. The bus had crashed into a lamp-post. Everyone screamed in terror. The elderly lady was no longer standing beside me. She lay sprawled on the floor, her leg twisted at an awkward angle and her wrinkled face etched with agony. The contents of her basket were scattered on the floor. There were live mud crabs crawling feebly and the fish were also strewn all over the floor of the bus. Everyone shrieked as they attempted to stay out of the way of the mud crabs.

I was stunned. I regretted not offering my seat to the aged lady. To make up for my selfish behavior, I leapt to my feet and rushed to help her up. However, she whined in anguish as I tried to lift her up. I stared at her in bewilderment. She pointed to her left leg helplessly. Having been trained in first aid, I reached for her left leg. I was shocked to discover that she had fractured it during the fall. Immediately, I beseeched fellow passengers with mobile phones to call for help.

Meanwhile, a crowd had gathered outside the bus, trying to make out what was happening. I comforted the old lady and assured her that medical help was on the way.

Just as I had expected, the police and the ambulance arrived in no time. The elderly lady and passengers who suffered injuries were whisked off to the hospital. The negligent driver was arrested on the spot. I felt triumphant as justice was finally meted out to the errant driver. However, I was also filled with remorse over what had happened to the poor old lady. I resolved to visit her in hospital the next day. With my mind made up, I retrieved my bag and walked home just in time for dinner.

No comments: