Thursday, November 26, 2009

Road Accident

By CS
It was a beautiful day. The sunlit clouds were drifting about in the clear, blue sky. I have just finished the tremendous amount of shopping that I had to do at a shopping centre. There was food to buy, shoes and clothes for the children and a lot of toys for there were lots of birthdays coming up. I was completely exhausted, whereas my children were so happy to get new things that they started skipping all around.

Out of the blue, I heard a loud CRASH! I could hear gasps of horror and loud whispers. As curiosity got the better of me, I decided to join the crowd of bystanders. From there, I could see clearly what was going on. A car accident had occurred! After I decided that I had more important things to do than to stare blankly at the accident scene, I heard the loud sirens of a police car.

“This might be interesting,” I thought, so I stayed a while longer. I could see two frustrated men, glaring at each other.

“How dare you knock into my car?! Are you blind?” screamed the burly man.

“What do you mean? You were the one who recklessly knocked into my car!” shouted the other man.

I covered my ears, as their voices were so deafening that they could wake the dead. Seeing all this, the policemen sprang into action as quick as lightning. One of them tried to calm all of the bystanders down, while another policeman was giving signals to the other drivers not to go near the accident site. Meanwhile, another policeman was trying to get more details about the accidents from the two drivers.

All of a sudden, a man and a girl came out from one of the damaged cars. Immediately the whole place was silent. Who would have guessed that there were still passengers in that car? The burly men seemed quite pale and rushed to the two people. He seemed to have calmed down a bit.

“Are you two alright?” asked the burly man.

“Yes, we are fine, except for a few bruises and scratches,” replied the girl.

The other driver said with an angry tone, “See? Look at what you have done to my poor daughter and brother?”

The burly driver looked guilty and answered, “I am sorry for what I have caused. I know my mistake. I will pay for all the damages.”

When they both calmed down, they were taken to the police station as the police needed more information from them. Luckily for the drivers, the two passengers were not seriously injured. Knowing that the “show” was over, the crowd dispersed slowly. I realised that it was time for me to head back home too.

While walking, I told my children, “Remember, when you grow up, you must not be so reckless, especially when driving. After all, it is better to be safe than sorry.” My children nodded in agreement. I knew that safety always comes first.

No comments: