Thursday, November 26, 2009

Drowning

Do you think it is safe to swim alone? Why or why not?
By MT
No, I do not think so. It is very dangerous to swim alone especially for someone who is inexperienced as the person might drown and the consequences would be disastrous. I think we should always swim with a companion and be on the lookout for the other party lest something happens.

This reminds me of a drowning incident that took place just a week ago. I was at the Toa Payoh Swimming Complex last Sunday. It was teeming with activities and there were many people at the pool. I saw a small boy who nearly drowned in the pool. He was alone. He could not swim well but he attempted to swim in the pool meant for adults and good swimmers. Luckily, the lifeguard was alert and saw what was happening. He nose-dived into the water and saved the struggling boy. The boy's parents were extremely relieved. They thanked the lifeguard profusely and warned the boy not to do it again. I was so worried for the boy. It reminds me how important it is for me to adhere to the safety rules at the pool. The boy could have drowned if not for the fact that the lifeguard was alert to spot him and reacted in time to save him.

To conclude, I feel that we should not swim alone. Instead, we should swim in either pairs or groups to prevent any unfortunate incidents.

No comments: