Thursday, November 26, 2009

False Alarm

By CL
The scorching sun was setting, however the heat was intolerable. Perspiration drenched my shirt and beads of perspiration trickled down my forehead. I was very thirsty and could only wish to reach home as soon as possible.

“Home at last!” I thought.

I took out my house keys and was just about to unlock the door when I saw a stranger leaving my neighbour’s house. Mrs Chin, my neighbour, was out and I became curious.

The stranger had a scar in the shape of a crescent on his left cheek. He had bloodshot eyes, a broken nose and yellowish teeth. His face looked very serious as if on the lookout for someone. He wore a singlet and a pair of jeans. His arms were fully covered with tattoos. He had frizzy and unkempt hair. His appearance sent a shiver running down my spine.

The first thought that came to my mind was that the man was a burglar. I quickly unlocked my door and went into my house. My heart was pounding with fear and excitement.

“What should I do first?” I asked myself.

I ran to the telephone and called my father. I told him everything excitedly. My father sounded excited too after he heard what had happened. He prompted me to call Mrs Chin and he would call for the police.

I called Mrs Chin and told her everything. She was shocked when she heard it. She ended the call abruptly.

While I was waiting for the police to arrive, I imagined myself going up the stage to collect the plaque of commendation from the police. They were going to reward me for being a good citizen by helping the police to nab a burglar.

The blasting sirens of the police car brought me back to reality. Mrs Chin just managed to rush back too. Mrs Chin and I went into her house. The door was not locked. The whole house seemed peaceful. Some policemen went to search the house for any signs of break in. A policeman asked me how the man looked like. Mrs Chin stood beside me. After I described him, Mrs Chin looked very relieved.

She said “Tom, the man you saw was my brother. He just came out of jail and he must have been looking for me.”

My face turned as red as a beetroot once I heard those words. I wished there was a hole in the ground for me to bury my head into. Through this incident, I learnt not so act hastily in the future.

No comments: