Thursday, November 26, 2009

Animal Abuse

By ST
Every time I huddle my kitten, I could not help but cry, as the torrents of tears flowed fast and free. I just could not stand the fact that my kitten, was once ill-treated …

It was a torrid afternoon. I was walking home with my friend, Jane, from the library. A gentle zephyr swept past us and I revelled in it momentarily before it dissipated in the fiery rays of the Sun.

Suddenly, I heard a loud sound coming from somewhere in front. I then decided to investigate the matter. As I walked on with my friend, I saw two boys ill-treating a poor kitten. As I continued to observe, I realised that the two boys were actually the Head Prefect, Tom, of our school and his best pal, Gregory! A spasm of rage flickered in my eyes as my face turned to the colour of molten larva. How could a Head Prefect do this? Didn’t he know that this was wrong? Those were the questions that raced through my mind at that point of time.

After much discussion with Jane, we decided to confront them. We walked briskly towards them. However, they were too convulsed in giggles to take notice of us.

I then bellowed, “Hey, what do you think you are doing?”

Upon seeing us, a sheen of sweat glistened on their foreheads. They stammered as they spoke, trying their best to regain their composure.

They said, “Hello, Mary and Jane, look how cute this kitten is!”

They picked up the kitten and pretended to hug it. Obviously not liking the treatment it received earlier, Kitty bit Tom’s arm.

“Ouch!” Tom cried as tears brimmed in his bleary eyes, “So what if I have ill-treated you, must you bite me?”

Jane then replied, “So you admit your mistake, come with us to the Principal’s office!”

Tom’s feet wobbled as if they had turned into jelly and his teeth chattered continuously, “Please…Please Jane, do not bring us to the Principal’s office!”

However, their pleas fell on deaf ears as Jane and I frog-marched them to the Principal’s office. We found out later that it was because Tom’s parents were in the midst of a divorce that Tom was venting his frustrations on Kitty. The Principal then decided to send Tom for counselling with a firm censure, together with Gregory.

I took the kitten home and nursed it. Our bond grew and I decided to keep her as a pet. As for Tom, I was glad that his parents decided not to file for a divorce in the end.

So here I am cuddling Kitty as I am feeding her with her favourite sardines.

No comments: